Fresh pears are on sale this week at Albertsons. They are always picked when unripe, because if you wait for them to ripen, they will fall off the tree first. To ripen them up quickly, place in a paper bag with a banana. For eating they will be best when just yellow and slightly soft. For cooking use them while still firm. There are still very few decent prices on apples. The northwest crop is just beginning to come in now, but most of the crop in the central U.S. was ruined by the weather variations last spring. Hopefully prices will drop and the selection of varieties will increase soon.
Comparing Prices this Week: Hamburger
Albertsons: $2.49 lb 85% lean
Fry's: $2.98 lb. 93% lean
Safeway: $2.49 80% lean
Best Prices on Everyday Items
Milk: Fry's, house brand $1.67/gal., Albertsons, buy 4 Kellog's items, get 1 gal. free
Bread: Albertson's sandwich bread $1; Fry's, Sara Lee, select varieties $1.77; Safeway Butter Top $1.99
Eggs: No good deals on eggs this week, but watch for unadvertised sales at Albertsons
Best Bargains this Week
Meat and Seafood
- London Broil, beef, limit 2, boneless $1.99
- Fresh ground beef, 85% lean, 3 lb or more $2.49/lb
- Chicken Breasts, boneless skinless, no sodium added, $1.77/lb
- Tilapia or Swai fillet, previously frozen $2.99/lb
- Pork sirloin, chops or roast, boneless $1.99/lb
- Chicken thighs, boneless, skinless $1.99/lb
- Lunchmeat, sliced Land o Lakes, 9 oz $1.99
- Raspberries, Driscol, 6 oz pkg $.88 (limit 4)
- Russet potatoes, 10 lb bag $1.99
- Yellow, orange or red bell peppers $1/each
- Carrots, 2 lb bag $1
- Pears, Bartlett, Bosc or Red $1/lb
- Squash $1/lb
- Avocados, Eggplant, English Cucumbers $1/each
- Albertson's brand olives $1/can
- Classic or Mustard Potato salad, macaroni salad $1/lb
- Oatmeal, Essential Everyday $1/canister
- Tuna, Chicken of the Sea, Chunk Light $1/can
- Yoplait yogurt $.50/each
Special Sales Beef Roast,Top Round, Bottom Round, Eye of Round, Sirloin Tip, Shoulder, Chuck: Buy One Get One Free
Meat and Seafood
- Hamburger 93% lean $2.98 lb.
- Pork sirloin chops $2.49
- Salmon fillets $5.99
- Cantaloupe $1.25/each
- Bananas $.57/lb
- Oranges $.99 lb
- Pears $.99 lb.
- Broccoli or Cauliflower $.99
- Sargento Cheese 5-8 oz. 2/$4
- Kroger cheese 12-16 oz. bars & shredded $2.99
- Butter $2.39
- Cottage cheese or sour cream 16 oz. $1.25
Special Sale Friday, Saturday, Sunday, $5 ea: 3lb. Seedless grapes, bakery items like brownie bites; Signature Cafe Pizza; 24-32 oz. shredded cheese; 20 pack Coca Cola products; Duracell batteries
Meat and Seafood
- Boneless pork loin: $1.99 lb.
- NY Strip steak $4.99 lb - extreme value pack
- Salmon $4.99 lb.
- Drumsticks or thighs, bone-in; $1.19 lb.
- Avocados $1/each
- Bananas $.39/lb
- Potatoes, select varieties $.99/lb
- Tomatoes on the vine, $1.99 lb
- Avocados 10/$10
- Corn on the cob 3/$1
- Life Cereal 2/$4
- Jif Peanut Butter or Smucker's Preserves $2.49
- Betty Crocker Cake Mix $.99
And another great tidbit of info:
Trader Joes has varieties of squash on sale for $1.69 - $2.49 each.
Pumpkins are available in a wide variety, with prices from as low as $.69 each.
Here's a recipe for you, too: Acorn Sqash Polenta Stacks
Fresh Pear Cake
Butter and flour a 9 inch round baking pan, or use baking spray.
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
3 firm ripe pears (Bartlett is good, this will be about 1 ½ lb. pears)
2 large eggs
1 cup white sugar
½ cup milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons butter
Peel, core and slice the pears, set aside.
Using electric mixer or by hand, blend eggs, sugar, milk and salt, beating well to combine.
Add flour and continue to mix until batter is smooth.
Fold in ½ the pears and spoon into prepared pan. Smooth the surface of the batter, then fan the rest of the pear slices over the top. Dot the top with 2 Tablespoons of butter.
Bake on bottom rack in 350 degree F oven for about 45 to 55 minutes. Cool in pan.
Serve immediately or cover air tight to serve the next day. Makes a good dessert or breakfast.
Recipes from Around the Internet
Pear, Gorgonzola and Walnut Salad Recipe
Maple Pecan Pears
Brie and Pear Crepes