Comparing Prices this Week
Boneless skinless chicken breasts are on sale at both Fry’s and Albertsons this week. If you’re tired of barbequed chicken, but don’t want to heat up the oven (and the house with it) try a skillet cooked dish like Chicken Breasts Florentine.
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Fry’s: Chicken Breasts, Kroger, boneless, skinless $1.67/lb
- Albertsons: Chicken Breasts or Thighs, boneless, skinless, $1.67/lb
Best Prices on Everyday Items
Milk: Fry’s, store brand, $1.50/gal. (with $25 purchase, limit 2); Albertsons, $.88/half gal.
Bread: Fry’s, Sara Lee, select varieties $1.50 (when purchased with 9 other selected items); Safeway, Open Nature variety breads, $2.50; Albertsons, store brand sandwich bread $1
Eggs: Safeway, Lucerne, large $.99/dz.; Fry’s, Simple Truth, cage free, $2.50/dz.; Albertsons: Wild Harvest, $2.50/dz.
Best Bargains this Week
$5 Friday Safeway Decadent Chocolate Turtle Torte, Deli Ham $5/lb
Four Day Sale, Thurs-Mon: Fresh Keta Salmon, $4.99/lb
Meat and Seafood
- Boneless New York strip steak, extreme value pack $4.99/lb
- Boneless chuck steak, thin cut, any package $4.99/lb
- Raw shrimp, frozen-thawed, wild caught $6.99/lb
- Lamb shoulder blade chops, imported $4.99/lb
- Mangos $.48 each
- Organic grape tomatoes, 10 oz $1.48
- Organic romaine hearts, 3 ct $2.99
- Black Plums $.99/lb
- Russet potatoes $.48/lb
- Red Cherries $1.28/lb
- Star Olive Oil, select varieties, 25 oz BOGO
- Pepsi products, 2 liter, select varieties $.99
- Pace Picante Sauce $2
- Bush’s Best variety beans $1
Meat and Seafood
- Fresh Atlantic Salmon, farm raised, full side $4.99/lb
- Pork, boneless loin chops BOGO
- Turkey, Jennie-O, or Eckrich ham, sliced in Deli $3.99/lb
- Beef chuck, fresh ground, 3 or more lb. $2.99/lb
- Broccoli or Cauliflower $.99/lb
- Zucchini, yellow or grey squash $.99/lb
- Cucumber, snacking (or Persian) $1.99/1 lb pkg
- Red, yellow or orange bell peppers $1/each
- Albertsons cheese, select varieties, chunk $1.78/8 oz.
- Resers classic potato salad, in deli $1/lb
- Malt-o-Meal dry cereals, 10-12 oz bag $1
- Albertsons sour cream $1
- Buy 10 participating items get $5 off including (all prices after $.50 discount)
- Quaker Cereal, select varieties $1.49
- Banquet Brown-n-serve sausages, $1
- Chex Mix or Gardettos $1.49
- Edwards Frozen Pies, select varieties $4.49
- Cream Cheese, Philadelphia , select varieties $.99
- Bumble Bee Tuna, select varieties, 5 oz can $.99
- Ocean Spray Craisens, select varieties $1.99
Meat and Seafood
- USDA Choice steaks, select varieties 50% off
- Pork back ribs, previously frozen $2.97/lb
- Roma Tomatoes $.88/lb
- Strawberries $.88/lb
- Haas Avocados $.77
- Asparagus $2.99/lb
- Kroger Butter, select varieties $1.99/lb
- Kroger Cheese, select varieties, bar and shred $1.88/lb
- Kroger sour cream, dip or cottage cheese, 24 oz $1.99
BOGO means Buy One Get One of equal or lesser value free
Chicken Breasts Florentine
Florentine or a la Florentine usually refers to a dish including spinach or served on a bed of spinach. No one knows for sure how this came about, but for some reason the French associated Florence and spinach.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half horizontally, pounded thin
½ pound fresh spinach, roughly chopped
½ pound fresh mushrooms, quartered
½ cup diced onion
½ cup ricotta cheese
½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg (or to taste)
Salt and Pepper to taste
½ cup white wine
Prepare chicken breasts first, place each piece between sheets of waxed paper or in a heavy plastic bag. Pound thin, but be careful not to tear.
In a small skillet, sauté onions and mushrooms in olive oil until onions are translucent and mushrooms have lost most of their moisture. Add spinach and cook until just wilted. Move mixture to food processor add cheese and spices. Process until well combined but not pureed.
Lay out chicken pieces (a piece of wax paper makes cleanup easy.) Place a spoonful of the spinach mixture on each one, spreading it into a line. Roll up each piece and secure with toothpicks.
In a large skillet heat a Tablespoon or so of olive oil. Add the rolled chicken pieces. Don’t try to move them around at first as they may stick and tear. When each side is brown, turn. Brown on all sides, about 10 to 12 minutes total. Pour in wine, reduce heat to simmer and cook covered until chicken is done. Depending on the size of your chicken pieces this may take only a few minutes, or up to 5 minutes longer.
Remove chicken to platter, add a Tablespoon of butter to juices in skillet, cook until a little thickened and pour over chicken.
Serve with cooked brown rice and a green vegetable.
Recipes from Around the Internet
Cucumbers aren't featured a lot in the ads, but nonetheless, the price is very reasonable this time of year. So, we thought we'd share a few cucumber salad recipes
This cucumber salad looked nicely refreshing for a warm summer day.
Watermelon & Cucumber Salad
Here's an unexpected twist on a salad.
Greek Cucumber Salad
This video has a homey feel to it, but the salad looks awesome.
Firecracker Jalapeno Poppers
They're not cucumbers, but the recipe looks awesome.